Alligator AD5201T MK II Combo
The Alligator series amplifiers are handmade and of full-tube design. From the very beginning it has been made and tested by musicians who are best aware of the guitarist’s needs. These amplifiers are for guitarists that play “classical” types of music from jazz, blues, hard rock, to even heavy metal.
The power stage is based on four EL84 tubes which give it an output power of 50 W. Not only are these tubes reliable mechanically but also are characterized by creating a warm, “singing” tube tone. The Preamp is on two 12AX7 tubes. One of the things that distinguish the EL84 tube is that you only need half of 12AX7 for the inverter, while with EL34 or 6L6 you need to use all of it. Despite of the preamp having only two tubes, the amplifier is capable of creating a wide spectrum of tones. The master section of the amplifier has been designed so that when playing at low volume, the tone quality is maintained. This section is also equipped with a spring reverb.
The amplifier has two channels: clean and distorted. On the clean channel exists the possibility of obtaining a “crunch” sound and the distorted channel offers possibilities from crunch to even a high gain sound. Additionally, the distorted channel offers the possibility of having two independent gains (potentiometer Gain 1 and Gain 2) controlled by a footswitch. For example, the player may set Gain 1 for less distortion than Gain 2, which with the help of a footswitch, allows for an easy transition between the two during a solo. This channel offers a wide variety of tones from classic rock and roll to hard rock, hardcore, even metal.
Combo versions: AD5201 Single and AD5201 Twin have one and AD5202 Single and AD5202 Twin have 2 Celestion Vintage 30 speakers which are connected to the amplifier with a thick speaker cable with a jack plug. The player may disconnect the internal speaker and connect an external cabinet even of a different impedance because the amplifier has outlets of 4 Ohms, 8 Ohms, and 16 Ohms impedance.
- tubes used: 4 x EL84 and 2 x 12AX7,
- 2 channels: clear and overdrive,
- two separate tone control for each channel clean and drive with EQ MOD,
- volume regulators - clear channel, gain and volume overdrive channel,
- two separate positions, switched with footswitch, Gain regulators,
- master volume,
- footswitch socket: channel and Gain 2 switching,
- footswitch socket: spring reverb and loop effect bypass,
- channel switching on relays,
- separate bright switches for both channels,
- series effect loop,
- spring reverb,
- line level Direct Output with speakers simulation,
- speaker outputs: 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 16 ohm.
- Celestion Vintage 30 loudspeaker,
- dimensions (width x depth x height): 490 x 270 x 450
- weight: 23,2 kg